Popular posts from this blog
My grandmothers rug
By
Maryjo McGraw
-
Remember Lane cedar chests? Your family was suppose to buy you one to start saving for your supposed impending marriage and you were then supposed to fill it with all the handmade dish-towels, napkins and Christmas ornaments you could find or even better make. I really wanted one when I was 14, to start saving for my wedding to some unknown perfect man. I never got one as a gift. No one at my house really understood any type of girl related dreams ,it was a boy house filled with baseball and meat. At 19 I bought one from a thrift store in uptown Whittier. It was painted black. I took it home and stripped it and refinished it. I still use it today for Christmas stuff and as a coffee table. I bought my own cedar chest as well as my own daughter purchasing hers. I hope Haven will take mine if this tradition even remotely exists in her day. My mother was raised during the depression, taught to save everything for a day when she could use her good stuff....the wine gla...
Memories of Christmas
By
Maryjo McGraw
-
Ornaments............. an addiction I can never give up! My oldest Santa in the back from the old family ornaments and a new thift store find A vintage looking snowman from one of my ornament exchanges and the Happy Scrooge from the Hallmark collecting days with Shirley. A vintage(now) Navy man I got in memory of my Uncle Jack Another cute snowman Grouchy Scrooge A cute woodland hedgehog Salt dough Christmas cottage from my ornament exchange days another Santa My two favorite ornaments that my Auntie bought. She always brought us ornaments for our trees. If you went Christmas shopping with her she Always bought ornaments for you even after I was a married woman so 70's My Mom did these in the seventies too! My last cool thrift store finds!





Comments
Post a Comment